About the City
Small Town America
"These small-town jewels...offer a wealth of shopping, dining, and outdoor activities. Best of all, they're blessed with charm, history, and Southern hospitality, and they're located within an hour's drive of Atlanta." ~ Southern Living Vacations, "Highway Treasures," 2001
Visitors to the City of Madison are often initially struck by the same things - the clean streets, the myriad beds of seasonal flowers, and the picturesque residences lining historic streets and surrounding the charming downtown area. These aspects of our community, which give visitors and newcomers alike a strong and deeply pleasant impression of the city, are not accidents, nor are they the result of simple good fortune on the part of Madison’s citizens. These services are offered as a result of the strong stewardship of the city’s past and present mayors, councilmembers, managers, and citizens.
Madison today bears the fruit of years of careful administration and activism. A strong citizen corps of volunteers serve upon the various public service boards. This constant citizen input helps the city’s elected officials to maintain, preserve, and build that which all of Madison's residents prize - a vibrant, viable and safe community in which to live, work, and raise their families.
High Quality of Life
Madison is truly one of Georgia’s greatest small towns. When the community receives accolades or awards, it is not news to community leaders. It reflects the quality of life our community enjoys and the high standards we have set for ourselves. Madison is:
- a great place to see, if you love Antebellum mansions and gracious Southern charm;
- a great place to visit, if you like small town America and Norman Rockwell paintings;
- a great place to raise a family, if you like the idea that your neighbors will call you if they see your kids taking risks or in trouble;
- a great place to live, if you like personal connections and getting involved (active downtown, lots of events, and diverse cultural arts);
- a great place to retire, if you are drawn to being part of a real thriving community instead of a gated community;
- a real town - diverse, lively, thoughtful, and engaging - with a sense of place.
Please let us know: Why are you visiting the website?