Click to Home
Go To Search
Find Us on
Cemetery History
Madison Historic Cemeteries
Almost from its founding, Madison established and maintained public burial grounds, where the citizenry shared a secular cemetery in lieu of local churches having denominational graveyards. 
(Of note, there are three known very small private graveyards within the city limits.) 
The Madison Historic Cemeteries now include Old Cemetery, New Cemetery, Fairview Cemetery, and Madison Memorial Cemetery. 
Old and New cemeteries are officially closed for interments.  In 2014, abutting land for cemetery expansion was donated by the Pritchard Family, offering the next 100 year burial ground.
 
ADDRESS - Main Gate:
420 W. Central Avenue
Madison, Georgia  30650
__________________________________________________
Old Cemetery
Located NW of Central Avenue, Old Cemetery is likely the remnant of Johnson Porter's original 202.5 acre land lottery parcel after Henry Carlton purchased 102 acres in 1811.  All extant burial deeds date to after the razing of the Episcopal Church (purchased in 1939 by the City and once located near the main gate).  Extending downward to Round Bowl Spring Park, the grounds encompass a later addition - a lower section comprised primarily of burials of many former slaves.
 
__________________________________________________
New Cemetery
New Cemetery - north of Central Avenue across the railroad - includes two City acquisitions:  1) 1880; the western six acres from Mr. LeRoy M. Wilson's estate; 2) 1882; nearly five acres from the Morgan County Commissioners allowing access across the railroad and connecting to Central Avenue.  The Confederate burial area is now part of this cemetery as well.                  
                
BURIALS

In the 1920s, fire destroyed many city records.  The Bank of Madison published two modern listings of known burials (see public library).  

Search online records:
findagrave.com

For a small fee, staff will review existing records and provide a high resolution picture.  Email 
__________________________________________________
Fairview Cemetery
In 1926, the City purchased from S. F. Beckham eight acres, known then as Fairview Cemetery.  Adjoining New Cemetery across the ravine, Fairview was chartered in 1904 as a perpetual care cemetery by early enterprising stockholders, such as D.P. Few.
__________________________________________________
Madison Memorial Cemetery
Madison Memorial Cemetery also had its early origins as a perpetual care cemetery for profit - formerly known as Morgan Memorial Park, Inc., chartered in 1957 when purchased from Rosa S. Parker.  The City acquired the four acres from John M. Massey, Jr. in 1979, eliminating race-restrictive covenants and renaming the cemetery Madison Memorial.
           
     
             
OBITUARIES

In Summer 2015, the CSC will begin posting obituary transcriptions for known burials (pre-1950 only). 

If you have a transcription to be considered, please email your work and the source.  At posting, the transcriber will also be noted.  Email